Sunday, August 3, 2008

The Temple of Heaven











Hi everyone, on Sunday we got up early and went to a furniture market. This is one where Todd has been, alot, and has bought alot of neat pieces for our house. We went looking for a cabinet for the kitchen. It was so hot already and when we walked in, Cherry, one of the workers who knows Todd brought us water and.......Coke Zero, I was very happy. We looked around the hot store for a long time, Lauren played her Ninetendo DS and Marshall played with his McDonald's transformers. After we found something and while I was taking Marshall to a Chinese potty, Cherry wanted us to try some of her noodles for lunch. She brought 4 bowls, (2 for the kids which they did not like, Lauren licked hers, Marshall did not even try it) and surprisingly it was good. It was only noodles with veggies and a little bit of beef (Yes, I am sure it was beef!). After telling them that no, the kids were just not hungry, they gave them ice cream and all were happy. I don't know what I would have done if it had been a big prawn or something with eyes looking at me. But anyway, after the furniture market, we went to China World Hotel and Mall, it has alot of designer stores and even an ice rink. As we were watching the skaters, I looked over and saw a big Lego store next to a toystore that sells Playmobil- two of Marshall's favorite things in the world. Now I know where to do Christmas shopping. We got the kids something to eat at KFC. The chicken nuggets were OK, I ordered 2 milks and they brought hot milk. I went back to ask for cold milk and they gave me 2 cups of ice. My deduction was that they don't have cold mild at KFC, good to know. Then we went to visit the Temple of Heaven, it was really pretty, but it was so hot. There were not any bathrooms around and Marshall had to go so we took him to a little corner in the courtyard and let him go. I felt weird letting him do it at this sacred place, but we were desparate. Luckily, that kind of thing is not out of the ordinary here, kids just squat wherever they want.
We then walked across the street to the Pearl Market where they have pearls but also a little bit of everything. We bought a "Ralph Lauren" pullover sweater for Marshall and "Hello Kitty" pants for Lauren, we'll see how long they last. I got 4 jibbitz for about 85 cents but one had already broken by the time we got home. Anyway, that is what you have to expect in the market. It was fun but I don't really get into the whole bargaining thing. Todd is good at it.
We went to the Hard Rock Cafe for dinner and it was packed with Americans. We were sitting next to some guys from an NBC filming crew and they gave the kids gold, silver, and bronze Olympic pins. It was neat. Then home with 2 happy but exhausted kids.
Hope all is going well for you!
PS Hi Sophie, love your bakery

No comments: